- TREPTOW-KÖPENICK & BERLIN
- CULTURE & PLEASURE
- INFO & SERVICE
- NATURE & ADVENTURE
- Tourism Association
The public park „Wuhlheide“ was developed between 1919 and 1931 according to the designs of the former gardening director Harrich from Treptow. The park reaches from “Treskowallee” to “Straße an der Wuhlheide” in Berlin-Köpenick. It is part of a formerly extended forest area which reached from the “Köllnische Heide” (“Schöneweide”) to today’s “Königsheide” (“Baumschulenweg”). The design of the “Volks- und Waldpark Wuhlheide” (public and forest park) was supposed to connect park and forest to have a public park as a result as part of the “public park movement” of the Twenties.
There were scenically embossed recreational zones as well as areas for activities and experiences. Meadows for sports, playgrounds, places for physical education, a disco, a lido and a hill for tobogganing were built. World War II changed the park incredibly. Anti aircraft missile positions, bunkers and a foreign labour camp were built, acts of war led to the destruction of some parts of the park. After the war, large areas in the north were diverted from their intended use and military constitutions of the Soviet military administration were built. Today, the “Wuhlheide” has a rather forest-like appearance. At the end of the Nineties, plans for a reconstruction started and are now being realised step by step.
The „Freizeit- und Erholungszentrum“ (FEZ, a children’s and a recreational centre) is located in the south-eastern part of the park. This area (117 ha) was separated in 1951 because of the “3. Weltfestspiele der Jugend” (3rd youth world festival). Today’s “Parkbühne” (park stage) and “Parkeisenbahn” (park railroad), the stadium and the lido were developed later on. In 1979 the GDR’s “Zentraler Pionierpalast” (central pioneer palace) with a swimming pool, a gym and a large playground was opened, presently Berlin’s largest and most popular children’s and youth centre and therefore a popular destination for families. Another one of Berlin’s large Open-Air-Venues besides the “Waldbühne”, the “Kindl-Bühne”, is also located at the “Wuhlheide”. It’s an amphitheater for 16,000 people containing the most modern technical equipment. The stage has a size of more than 300 m², production, backstage- and sales areas which are totally up-to-date. In order to avoid disturbance, only 18 concerts per season are allowed.